Jack's New Hampshire Real Estate Blog

Need a professional tax abatement appraisal?

The filing deadline for tax abatement filings in in less than 3 weeks.  This is most likley the "last call" for tax abatement appraisals.  Here is a review:


Several communities have recently completed re-assessments that have left many people wondering how they can abate (reduce) their taxes.  Even if your city or town has not completed a “re-val” you can question the assessment by a process called tax abatement.  MOST towns actually with work with you if you can provide (often by a professional appraisal) some support for your claim of being over-assessed.  Some towns are not so eager.

One key point to remember is that the value you claim (your opinion) my best lower than the equaluzed assessment.  What does that mean?   I will answer by example.  Lets say your town has an equalization ration of 110%.  That means that the average property in town is assessed at 110 percent of market value.  So long as everyone is over assessed by 10 percent, that is ok, as in theory the tax rate would be reduced by 10 percent.  Lets say your house is truly worth $300,000, but it is assessed for $330,000. Using my 110% example, you would not have a case since your property is assessed at 110 percent of market value which is the town standard.   If after doing this calculation you feel the property is over assessed, here is the process. 



In all New Hampshire communities, all assessments are paid on the market value of the property on April 1st of the tax year.  Therefore, for the 2017 tax bill, the assessment must reflect the “equalized” value of the property as of April 1, 2017.

Since prices/values can decrease and increase over the years, the state allows assessment to be higher or lower than market value provided that they are equitably assessed.  What does this mean?   Let’s say you live in Manchester NH and the average assessment is 110 percent of market value (example only) and your property is 10 percent over assessed.  In this case you are equally assessed (or equally over-assessed) and have no case for abatement.


How do you file an abatement?

Step One:  Obtain a copy of the tax assessment card from your community.  If the full card is not available online, I suggest you go to the town and obtain the full card which has the most detail.


Step Two:  Carefully review the card to accuracy.  Note the assessor’s ratings with regards to condition and quality.


Step Three:  Research comparable sales, enlist the assistance of a realtor friend or hire a professional appraiser.  If hiring an appraiser, select one that has experience in this type of assignment.


Step Four:   Complete the State of New Hampshire Tax Abatement Form.  Here is the link to download the form:       https://www.nh.gov/btla/forms/documents/municipal-abatement.pdf    The abatement MUST be filed no later than March 1st following the tax year (March 31, 2017 for 2016 tax year).


The abatement form summarizes the rules, deadlines and procedure for abatement.  If you need assistance in analyzing your property do not hesitate to call Jack Lavoie, SRA at 603-644-1000 or email at: jacklavoie@comcast.net   For more information, find us on our website at www.AppraiserNH.com

Posted in:Tax Abatement and tagged: Property tax
Posted by Jack Lavoie on February 9th, 2018 4:18 AMLeave a Comment

Subscribe to this blog

My Favorite Blogs:

Sites That Link to This Blog: